Most home and business owners don’t know what damage is being done to their roof week by week. It’s usually not until a leak or another drastic issue occurs that they consider the state of the roof. Maintaining the roof and increasing its life starts with a roof inspection and becoming aware of the factors that harm it. If you need a roofing contractor Baltimore, the experts at Old Line Roofing and Solar LLC can address any issues that you may or may not have noticed.
These Five Things Are Damaging Your Roof
Lichen and mold, overgrown trees, wind, sun, rain, snow, and ice cause your roof to deteriorate.
- Lichen is a combination of algae and fungus that looks like spots of mint green on the roof. Moss looks like a fuzzy, green substance that’s much softer than lichen. Both of these growing plants cause wood rot and structural damage.
- Though tree limbs may not fall on your roof and cause damage, branches pose a threat. Leaves can accumulate on your roof and trap moisture which creates a ripe condition for mold to grow. A branch can also damage your shingles and allow water to seep into your home’s structure.
- The wind is unpredictable, and if it’s strong enough it can lift shingles from your roof and leave the underlayment exposed. This means that the shingles cannot repel the water and will cause your roof to leak.
- The sun’s rays are known to fade shingles and deteriorate them until they’re no longer useful.
- Rain, snow, and ice cause moisture which leads to mold, rot, mildew, and damage to the insulation in your attic. While rain is the biggest culprit, melting snow re-freezes and causes ice dams that stop water from draining through your gutters. This causes it to back up under your roofing materials.
The best way to combat these issues is to hire a roofing contractor in Baltimore, such as Old Line Roofing and Solar LLC. We’ll assess your roof and decide the best course of action.
Looking for A Roofing Contractor Baltimore?
Discover Old Line Roofing & Solar! We have over 30 years of experience serving the greater Baltimore, Maryland area. Our services include siding installation, gutters and downspouts, concrete services, and more. Click here for a free estimate!